Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Happier Day

At 6'4"David Ernest Moody, Sr  was a bit of a Mountain Man.  I was born on August 9.  David's birthday was August 16th.  When he was 12 he received a bike and I was his early birthday present. My parents raised sheep and my father built a little wooden wagon to be attached to the sheep with a tiny seat so David could lead the sheep around and give me a ride.  Later he taught be how to ride the bicycle that my father made me out of plumbing pipe - I always blamed that bike for my big calves!! He went to school to be a machinist but that position was not for him.  He needed to be outdoors. After he married he worked construction and landscaping. When his children were grown he started two businesses. One was a welding business.  The other was a tree service.  He excelled at both and worked at both until he was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer on Christmas Day of 2011.

As the  years passed each of the four children in my family of origin went their separate ways.  I hadn't seen him since the execution of my father's will in 2006...6 years ago.  He had decided he didn't want to continue a relationship with his siblings.  Sad.

I received word of his passing on Thursday evening.  I won't get to go to a wake or a funeral.  My friends won't be able to gather and comfort me.  I am sad about that.  I will honor David's wishes though.



Today I needed to comfort myself by writing these words and publishing these pictures of a happier day.  David gave me away at our September 16, 1972 wedding.   It was a happier day.





Yes I crocheted my gown.


Rest in Peace David

August 16, 1937 - March 27, 2012

5 comments:

  1. So sorry Linda. I think you need to make some of those cute cheery little mice to keep your hands busy and put your energies into something you love to do. Your fond memories will always be there with you. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep all of those memories in your heart, they will help you heal from your sadness. Sending Hugs and Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss Linda. So very sorry. sending you love and prayers. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss Linda. Sounds like you have lots of good memories though!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have some happy memories of your brother to remember him by.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete